Sunday, May 8, 2016

You Think I'm Strong? You Should Meet my Mother

Dear Marciano,


Every second Sunday of May, we celebrate Mother’s Day. We give thanks and tribute to the Wonder Woman of our lives who needs no costume to bring out their supernatural powers. For the year 2016, today is the Mother’s Day. I will grab this opportunity to tell you how lucky we are for having Lola Nanay to love, care and look after us.

Every time a new friend gets to see a part of my life, they always compliment me by saying “You’re such a strong woman.” or “How do you manage to do those things on your own?” Most of the time I answered by giving them a shy smile, but deep inside what I really want to tell them is that “You think I’m strong? Well, you should meet my mother.”


Last week, while I was drafting this in my head, I think of the circumstances that Lola Nanay hasn’t gone through yet. I cannot think of any. I believe she had experienced the worst and got through them like a champ that she is. I know one day, I will get to tell you all the things she had gone through for the sake of our family. The lifestyle she turned her back on, the pride she had to swallow, things she had to endure and a lot more just to give me a better life.

At her age, she should be resting and enjoying her life. After all, she’s been working hard since she was in college. She should just be taking good care of all the dogs and cats she had adopted. But look at her now, she’s tending you from dawn til dusk (because I have to go to work to provide your needs) while doing the household chores all by herself during your play or nap time. She’s doing my job which is to look after you 24/7. When I was your age, she was there by my side until I have to spend the whole day at school. She taught me how to write, interact and all the things that will make me look like a bright kid. I should be doing that that to you, that is what I intend to do. But since unforeseen circumstances happen, we have to adjust on what will work for all of us. I would like to tell you that I’m sorry that I have to go to work and let her do the job that is mine, but in a way I believe you will be a better person because you were raised by her. My motherly skills needs a lot of improvement in order be a fraction of hers. You are such a lucky kid to be guided and loved by her.

I often wonder where would I be now if she’s not my mother. Will I be able to do well at school which will lead me landing my dream job if not for her undying support and believe in my abilities? Will I be able to have the confidence I have right now and face the world head up high if not for her advises? Lola Nanay deserves a better daughter. She deserves someone not as stubborn and as lazy as me. But you see even if I was not the best, she never made me feel that I am not enough. She made me feel that I am her world, always her topnotcher. And she’s doing that not by bragging it on social media or to her colleagues; she has this special non-verbal ways to make me feel that she is so proud of me. And that is why I love her more.

As for you, I want you to celebrate Mother’s Day every single day. Make Lola feel loved and treasured even in simple ways. She loves you dearly even if you are not the most behave kid on earth at your age. You may have test her patience every day during meal and bath times, but her love for you will never ever go away. Kiss and embrace her every chance that you get. Tell her you love her and you appreciate all the things she did, is doing and will be doing for you. Help her if you can by behaving and doing what you are asked to. Not all children are blessed with loving grandmothers that’s why you should very greatful for having Lola Nanay in your life.


I would like to give you credit as well, for without you I will not be honored today. Being recognized as one of the most important people here on earth was a long shot for me but because of you, I was categorized as one. Thank you and always remember that I will always do everything that I can to be the best for you. 


Love,

Nanay

1 comment:

  1. super "makapagdamdamin" beh...
    naiyak after reading this...
    lab lab lab / GOD bless =)

    ReplyDelete